The Insurance Development Forum is delighted to be co-hosting a 2019-2020 seminar series with the Centre for Disaster Protection and the World Bank DRF team, entitled ‘Finding Better Ways to Stop Disasters Devastating Lives‘. The idea behind the seminar series is to provide a platform where esteemed speakers from the disaster risk financing/insurance space can share insights in their works, with the aim of promoting learning, innovation and discussion.
1. The future of Disaster Risk Pooling for developing countries: where do we go from here?
Leonardo Martinez-Diaz (Global Director, Sustainable Finance Center of the World Resources Institute)
30 October 2019 (Wed) 1pm-2pm
2. Lessons from the Turkish Catastrophe Risk Pool
Dr Burcak Basbug Erkan (Dr, Course Director MSc Disaster Management and Resilience, Academic Director of the Institute of Civil Protection and Emergency Management)
02 December 2019 (Mon) 1pm-2pm
3. What could go wrong with forecast-based finance (forthcoming policy brief)
Erin Coughlan de Perez (Manager, Climate Science, Red Cross Red Crescent)
11 December 2019 (Wed) 1pm-2pm
4. Morocco Catastrophe Insurance Program: blending social and market-based solutions
Antoine Bavandi, (Financial Sector Specialist, World Bank’s Disaster Risk Financing and Insurance Program (DRFIP))
7 December 2019 (Tues) 1pm-2pm
5. Tohoku earthquake and tsunami: The development and evolution of the Earthquake Insurance system as a public-private partnership between the Japanese Government and the Insurance Industry
Masaaki Nagamura (Global Head of International Affairs Strategy and Synergy Dept. Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc.)
15 January 2020 (Wed) 1pm-2pm
6. Typhoon Haiyan 2013: Role of insurance in rebuilding economies & communities, what has been learned?
Dr. Ana Gonzalez-Palaez, University of Cambridge, Fellow, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership
6 February 2020 (Thur) 1pm-2pm
7. IDF Publication: the Practical Guide to Insuring Public Assets
Claudia Thyme, AXA XL, Director, Emerging Markets Development
8. The Role of Insurance for Development: Diagnostic insights from Nigeria, Rwanda, Ghana and Kenya
Mia Thom, Technical Director at CENFRI (the Centre for Financial Regulation & Inclusion)
20th January, 2020